Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Resolution Compliance Report for January

In 2007 I half-heartedly resolve to have no more than three unfinished knitting projects at one time.

One month down and eleven to go on my resolution. Maybe by the end of the year having less projects on the needles will be a new habit.

Today, February 1, I only have two projects - both sweaters - on the needles.


Frode with one and a half sleeves done

Pattern: Frode (with modifications) by Elsebeth Lavold in Viking Patterns for Knitting
Yarn: Knitpicks Shamrock, 100% Peruvian wool, heavy worsted weight
Color: MacNamara
Needles: Addi Turbo #6
Gauge: 20 stitches/4 inches 28 rows/4 inches
Note: Size XS, 37.75 inches. Knitting for CIC_Knit List big kids sweater challenge.

If you're curious about the pattern modifications and/or my thoughts on the yarn, I wrote about both here.

The right sleeve (on the left side of the picture) is done.

The left sleeve (on the right side of the picture) is six inches long.

Normally I have no idea now long it takes to knit something. I started an audio book at the beginning of the sleeve and now the six hour book is done. So, that six inches of sleeve took six hours to purl. Doesn't that seem like a long time for something with no stitch pattern?

This sweater is going to stay as my active project until it's done. That last sleeve is getting narrower and narrower. It won't be long now.


Third pair of CIC big kids socks knit out of Shamrock
Pattern:
Winging Worsted Weight Socks 40 stitches around

Yarn: Knitpicks Shamrock, 100% Peruvian wool, heavy worsted weight

Color: MacNamara

Needles: #5 Pony Pearl double points

Gauge: 5 stitches/inch

Since there is going to be leftover yarn from Frode, there are matching socks.

Earlier in the week while I was sore from shoveling snow, I cast on this pair for a little relief from the endless Frode sleeve purling.

This is the third of five pair of socks I plan to knit for the CIC_Knit List big kids challenge.



Peerie Brocade both sleeves partially done

Pattern:
Peerie Brocade from Fall 1999 Knitter's Magazine. Designed by Charlie Hada.
Yarn: Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool
Color: Dusty Teal
Needles: US #4
Gauge: 23 stitches/4 inches in pattern

I could have worked on these sleeves for purling relief instead of knitting socks, but decided against it. Next time I pick up this sweater, I don't want to switch projects again until it's done.

Seems like I remember I was going to wear this on the cool autumn days of 2006. It's a few months overdue. Maybe even three projects on the needles at once is too many?

No, I don't think so. Three seems to be working for me. I just need to be realistic about how long it takes to knit a large sweater at 23 stitches/4 inches when other projects keep grabbing my attention.


Male Cardinal looking like he owns the feeder
Since getting the new camera my picture folders are full of bird pictures.

Here's a male cardinal looking like he owns the world.

I stocked up on bird seed today. There will be some serious weather whining this weekend as the wind chills dip below zero and the snow just keeps coming down.

No comments: