Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Knitting Inspiration

I found this fun little game on Lisa's blog, Time to Knit.
  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 123.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
  5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.

"Single eyelets are made by decreasing one stitch and compensating for this with a yarn-over increase."

-from The New Knitting Stitch Library by Lesley Stanfield.

I was surprised to find five sentences on page 123 since most of the book is pictures of knitted swatches and stitch charts. The stitch patterns don't even have names, just numbers.

This morning I was feeling very lazy. After taking the dogs for a walk, I grabbed this book and snuggled back in between the flannel sheets. I can spend many happy hours looking through stitch pattern books and jotting down notes on stitches and how I might use them in a knitted article.

Usually I do it with one of the Barbara Walker Treasuries, but today I remembered The New Knitting Stitch Library, a Christmas gift in 2003. And what a gold mine of ideas it is.

I jotted down twenty-seven stitch patterns that are just perfect for something I have in mind. Several of the twenty-seven I'm going to use in socks and I even have the perfect yarn.

There are several leaf/nature related lace patterns to try with the green Opal UNI-Solid, and a very manly basketweave ribbing to use on John's socks - if the yarn ever arrives from Canada.

Now I need to plan some knitting time.

No comments: