Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, January 31, 2005

Knitting Log for January 31

Feedback From Previous Post
Imagine my surprise to find a comment from Lorna Miser on my previous post.

It's obvious that she's a gentle lady with a great sense of humor as well as being a talented yarn and knitting designer. If you didn't see her comment, be sure to check it out.

Lorna's sweater design in Cast On is classic and well done. It incorporates a basketweave stitch pattern that's one of my favorites. I might very well knit it next fall when I'm looking for something to knit in bulky weight yarn to keep me warm in the winter time.

It will be knit in wool or wool blend, maybe even Lorna's Laces Shepherd Bulky.

Even though Lorna doesn't own Lorna's Laces anymore, it still carries her name and some of my favorite sock yarns have been her creations.

Here are links to two pair of socks knit in 2004 with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock:
New Six Sox Pattern Due Tomorrow
Susan, list mom for the Six Sock Knitalong, has been teasing us with hints about what it's going to be. We know it requires three to six different colors of yarn. I saw a hint indicating it's going to be something new for me technically.

The Six Sock Knitalong list has over 1,100 members, yet only 78 have posted a finished picture for their December/January beaded sock. Two months is plenty of time to knit a pair of socks, even for a slow knitter, so there must be other reasons for the non-participation.

I'm guessing the reasons are varied. Some members did not want to do the beads. Some members were afraid the beads were beyond their skill level. Some members don't have a way to post digital pictures. Some members are only there to get the free patterns and never planned to do the knitalong. Still, I never would have guessed less than 10% of the group finishing their socks.

It's a very common occurrence for a knitter to have way more projects in the queue than they have time to knit. I know I constantly struggle with keeping my knitting plans reasonable.

On The Needles Now
The Lavold Sweater scheduled for February knitting has been given a head start. Both the front and the back have been cast on and the ribbing completed. The front has twelve rows of basketweave/lace completed.

The Elements Lace Socks are both at the start of the heel. There won't be another picture until they're done, hopefully by the end of the week.

There are at least four different pairs of original pattern socks I want to do next, plus Mom wants some pink Old Shale Two Yarn Socks, plus John needs a pair of birthday socks for March, plus there's the Six Sox for February/March.

A perfect example of the struggle to keep knitting plans reasonable, relaxing, and fun. Like all good things, it's so easy to over do it.

1 comment:

Birdsong said...

I can certainly relate to lots in the queue! I got home from work today feeling a little wrung out and thought some knitting would help... did some finishing work on my most recent work completed and thought about what I would start. I felt a craving for purely mindless knitting and started wondering if too many projects was part of the overload! Tomorrow will be another day, and another chance to start a new project. Happy knitting.