Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Almost Ready to Bead Again

We received our December/January pattern for the Six Sock Knitalong today. I was disappointed challenged to see that it is a beaded sock.

The name of the thing is Pink Beads Sock. The pattern is a neutral colored yarn with a band of beadwork in pink beads. It probably wouldn't be right to post the picture on Stitches of Violet, but if you click here during December/January you will see a picture of Pink Beads Sock.

Beaded Faux Cable Ankets for MomThe picture on the left is NOT the socks for the knitalong. This is the only pair of beaded socks I ever knit, a wonderful pattern called Beaded Faux Cable Anklets by Heartstrings published in the Summer 2003 Heels and Toes Gazette. (Back issues still available for purchase. Click here.)

The pattern was so well written, complete with every helpful instruction and hint necessary for success in a first beaded knitting project, that I couldn't resist knitting these socks just for the fun of seeing if I could do it.

The yarn in the picture is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Sherbet.

Beaded socks are not my style, so I asked Mother if she would like the completed pair. And, like a good Mother, she jumped at the chance. The socks were finished over a year ago and I love to see them on her feet. She wears them with pride and loves to show them off to anyone who will look.

I never intended to knit another pair of beaded socks. Once was enough. 480 beads was enough.

Now I'm faced with knitting another pair. If I keep true to the pattern name, it needs to be another pink pair. It's going to take a few days to get enthusiastic about this project.

The good news is Mom says she is willing and pleased to be the recipient of a second pair of beaded socks, so someone I love wants the finished pair.

The color is a problem. As is obvious from the picture, Mom and I have already done pink. I think the Pink Beads Socks for the Six Sock Knitalong are going to be blue.

I'll start knitting on the Blue Beads Socks as soon as I can get to Hobby Lobby and buy some beads.

Get ready for a bit of bloggy crankiness while I knit a pair of socks with 432 beads.

Please know I'm not really a crabby old lady. I'm grumbling about these socks with a smile on my face. Sometimes it's fun to complain a little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am cranky too, I was hoping, from the sneak peek with the blurred out cuff portion we saw a while back, that it would be a snowflake or some such winter motif. If glass beads are used, is there a possiblity of breakage? Sigh...beads and then a totally plain rest of the sock, not my cup of tea.