Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Making Waves Vest and Socks for CIC

Making Waves Stitch pattern used in a CIC vest and socksLaura asked me to dig out an old post on a CIC vest I made last summer using the Making Waves stitch pattern from the Six Sock Knitalong.

This is not a pattern, but a description of how I knit the vest and socks in the picture. An experienced knitter should have no trouble duplicating my results and even adding their own touch to improve upon them.

The vest is based on the What's In My Pocket Vest Pattern, size 2, 72 stitches around. It was knit with a bulky blue Lopi wool on size 10.5 needles.

The lower edge of the vest is two inches of k1p1 ribbing instead of the garter stitch border used in the What's In My Pocket Vest Pattern.

The Making Waves stitch pattern is in the center 24 stitches of the front and back.

Making Waves Pattern for knitting in the round
Multiple of 8 stitches and 8 rows
Row 1: knit
Row 2: knit
Row 3: cable 4 back, k4
Row 4: knit
Row 5: knit
Row 6: knit
Row 7: k4, cable 4 front
Row 8: knit
cable 4 back: Slip the first two stitches onto a cable needle and hold in back as the next two stitches are knit. Then knit the two stitches on the cable needle.

cable 4 front: Slip the first two stitches onto a cable needle and hold in front as the next two stitches are knit. Then knit the two stitches on the cable needle.

Plan the underarm castoff so the even rows of the Making Waves stitch pattern are on the wrong side.

When knitting back and forth, the wrong side rows are purled.

I have a tendency to bind off too tight, so I always make sure a finished vest will fit over my head before weaving in the ends.

For the socks, I cast on 28 stitches for the ribbing and increased to 32 for the waves pattern because the cables pull in. The socks in the picture are knit from a turquoise Cascade 220 wool on size 5 needles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just found your blog by searching for the six sock knitalong to see what socks had aready been done this (okay, last) year. I took a look at your photos of previous socks and I just wanted to say that they are beautiful. Your knitting, creativity, and generousity is inspiring. Thanks!
Lynda