Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday This and That

Yesterday morning when the dogs and I stepped outside about 7:30 am, it was 60 degrees. Didn't even need a jacket until it started raining.

Later in the morning we were having a nice, gentle rain. Without warning a white light filled the house accompanied by an ear-splitting boom. My brain said, "propane explosion" and I was surprised to be alive a second later. It was some strange lightening that didn't seem to hit anywhere.

Glory, the big dog, shook with fear and Sunny ran under the bed. The power stayed on, our computers and appliances didn't fry, and the rain continued to gently fall. Very weird.

This morning when the dogs and I stepped outside for the first time, it was 35 degrees, the wind was blowing, and the temperature was falling. We're still waiting (but not impatiently) for the first snowfall. There are weather prediction rumors that it's going to happen on Thanksgiving Day.

Firearm deer hunting season started on the 15th. Gun shots could be heard during morning walks and evening walks. When I take the dogs out, I wear red and sing. I figure the singing will run any nearby deer away and keep the hunters from shooting me. So far it's working.

Sunday morning the 21st the yard was full of deer eating acorns when I looked out the window at the beginning of sunrise. While I hate to think of any of those beautiful deer getting shot, I have to admit the herd needs to be thinned and there aren't enough local hunters to do it. Or maybe, considering all the gunshots, there are just too many deer.

I've been knitting on the size 14 feet of Brother Dave's Christmas Socks. 94 rows from the gusset to the start of the toe decreases. Round and round and round we go.

Just because it doesn't seem right to have a post without a picture, here's another picture of non-productive snowclouds on a gray November day. . .


5 comments:

Jean said...

Eeeeek size 14 socks, I complained about knitting a size 10 sock and never finished them. (Just lost interest) The lightening story is so scary! We don't really get much lightening where I live.

Dorothy said...

Well, you can certainly have our snow. We are just not prepared for it in our area and life as we know it has come to a screeching halt. At least there are not deer hunters in our yard! EEK!

Yarn and Ivories said...

The lightning story had a much different conclusion than I thought! Glad there was no damage. (hmmm white light)

Anonymous said...

The lightning strike would have scared me too. I am glad it missed your house and the gunshots too!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Here in Nebraska we occasionally get "Thunder snow". It comes down very heavily and it's a wet snow. We had major tree damage in the Omaha area several years ago as a result. Weird to have thunder and snow at the same time. Glad this wasn't the case for you and your propane tank didn't blow up. On a different note, how is Pappy doing? Hope all is well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. papiokc