Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

BFF Revisited and New Sock Yarn



These socks deserved better than yesterdays inadequate picture taken with the flash. The picture above was taken in daylight and shows the true richness of the yarn color. It's still difficult to see the cables because of the dark color.



This close up picture was lightened so you can see the beautiful way Cookie A. transitions between the cuff ribbing and stitch pattern. A k2 in the ribbing is crossed and double knit to create four stitches for the start of the cable.

The decrease back to two stitches where the cable ends is just as ingenious, but I'm not there yet.

Pattern:BFF by Cookie A. 64 stitch size.

Yarn: Stalwart Sock from Slackford Studio. 75% Superwash Merino, 25% Nylon 4 Ply Fingering Weight Sock Yarn.

Color: After Midnight.

Needles: Options 2.50mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette.



I bought two skeins of the After Midnight thinking I'd use it for Brother Dave's socks. Then he called a few nights ago and asked for multicolored socks with "violet". That meant I had to buy more sock yarn. Darn.

This is Opal Rainforest 6, Color 4005, Baronesse Bambalina.



Someone always asks where I buy Opal. Simply Socks Yarn Company

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty socks. CookieA's patterns are always just perfect. Too bad your brother wants a different color. What will you do with the Midnight Blue socks?

Thanks for the good wishes about my surgery tomorrow. I will try to post the results soon.

Joyce said...

I made the BFF socks and was fine on the first sock, but my brain just didn't want bend around decrease on the second sock! When I made the second one, I kept thinking it seemed so much easier the first time around. It was a fun knit, though

Alwen said...

Either way, those are beautiful socks.

I love Opal. They have such wonderful colorways!