Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, May 02, 2008

May Sample Skein Swatches

When I subscribed to Elann Sample Skeins, one of my goals was to knit up each sample skein, including yarn I would never dream of buying. Because who knows? I might fall in love with a yarn that I otherwise never would have tried. Or, in short, I wanted to experiment a little and expand my yarn exposure.

The following are my impressions of the May sample skeins. These are NOT yarn reviews. They are my personal preferences after knitting a sample skein.

The picture was taken before the swatches were washed. I washed all four of them in the washer with agitation, and all four passed the laundry test with flying colors.

I haven't decided which I'm going to buy, if any. But none of the four are out of the running.

Elann's Luna (upper left). 55% viscose, 45% cotton. DK weight. Swatch knit on #3 needle.

This yarn is much prettier in person than in my picture or in the Elann color flyer for May. There's a matt strand and a very shiny strand twisted together. In most of the colors, the two strands are different in hue and the result is gorgeous.

The featured pattern for this yarn is a Feather and Fan Bolero and I'm a sucker for anything Feather and Fan. Where does that leave me? Trying to pick a color and asking myself if I will really wear a lacy bolero. (Bolero pattern free on the Elann website.)

Elann's Soie Lin (upper right). 70% silk, 30% linen. DK weight. Swatch knit on #3 needle.

This is the first silk yarn I've ever knit and liked the result. The silk/linen combination is perfect and Soie Lin got an A+ in washability.

Not too crazy about the colors, but I'm thinking this would make a lovely lacy top. If I buy this yarn, I'll probably just get Seed Pearl, the color of the swatch.

Queensland Maldive (lower left). 45% cotton, 45% acrylic, 10% viscose. DK weight. Swatch knit on #3 needle.

Soft and easy to knit. And there's a bright green color calling my name - unless I decide on the orange or turquoise.

My only reservation about Maldive is the little flecks of dark color. The majority are sitting on the yarn surface without being firmly attached. I can pick them off, brush them off, and some are so loose I can blow them off.

I expected them to fall off in the wash, but they didn't. Magic yarn?

Queensland Tahiti 49% cotton, 36% acrylic, 12% microfiber, 3% polyester. Aran weight. Swatch knit on #5 needle.

My swatch is the tamest of the nine offered color combos. The yarn isn't expensive and I just might knit up a short sleeve summer top for fun.

It would be like nothing I've ever knit before. Almost have to be all stockinette. Would the colors keep me happy or would I doze off in a bored, stockinette induced stupor?

No comments: