Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, December 15, 2006

Frode - The Pattern, The Yarn

Frode with one happiness sign done

Pattern: Frode (with modifications) by Elsebeth Lavold in Viking Patterns for Knitting
Yarn: Knitpicks Shamrock, 100% Peruvian wool, heavy worsted weight
Color: MacNamara
Needles: Addi Turbo #6
Gauge: 20 stitches/4 inches 28 rows/4 inches
Note: Size XS, 37.75 inches. Knitting for CIC_Knit List big kids sweater challenge

I've been having so much fun knitting this! I stayed up way too late last night to get the first happiness sign finished. (The happiness sign is that symbol in the center.)

Two more happiness signs to go. But I really need to set Frode aside for a while and knit some other things with holiday/birthday deadlines. Maybe I'll make a short list of love knitting and reward myself with another happiness sign when the list is finished.


Frode in Viking Patterns for KnittingPlanned Pattern Modifications
This is Frode as pictured in Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting.

Frode is designed in four pieces, front, back, and two drop sleeves. The front and back are rectangles with no sleeve shaping.

I'm knitting front and back together in the round. Other than the two shoulder seams done in three needle bind off, my version of Frode isn't going to have any seams.

The pattern calls for the sleeves to be knit flat and cuff up. I plan on picking up armhole stitches and knitting the sleeves top down in the round. More boring knitting - all purling no less. I may knit them stockinette or, as Dorothy suggested, inside out. Haven't decided yet.

Instead of duplicating the three happiness signs and the braid cables on the back, I'm putting a happiness sign in the upper, center back. That will keep the back from looking totally plain, but not be a time consuming effort.

Time considerations are important when knitting for CIC_Knit List. I want the sweaters to be attractive, but I also want to knit warm things for as many kids as possible.

From past experience, I know the shoulder seam would never look pretty with two braid cables coming together from front and back. Another reason to leave the braid cables off the back.


Closeup of Knitpicks Shamrock yarnYarn Review
Knitpicks Shamrock yarn is not as soft as their Wool of the Andes, but it has great stitch definition.

I'm knitting it at a tight gauge - 5 stitches/inch for a heavy worsted - which makes it even stiffer. I'm sure it will soften up when I wash it, but it's not a pleasure to feel while I'm knitting.

It's a four ply yarn. Three plies are in the main color, the fourth ply is variegated.

The plies are a little loose and it's easy to split a stitch. I have to watch my knitting very carefully.

Would I buy it again? Maybe, for the right project. I do like the way it's working for this sweater.

No comments: