Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Another Foot of Snow and New Yarn

Snow scene with a foot of snow on December 7, 2006This morning we were greeted with a foot of new snow with more falling.

Tuesday's snow was light and fluffy, easy to shovel, quick to melt on Wednesday. And, it's a good thing that it did melt on Wednesday, because in the early morning hours of Thursday (today), we got another foot of snow.

The Thursday snow is denser, heavier, and much harder to shovel. I cancelled a non-critical medical appointment and decided to stay home.


Pappy in the deep snowIt's Pappy's doggy school night, but we may skip it. I'm willing to shovel out for him and/or Bob is willing to drive us in the Jeep, but Pappy is exhausted from jumping through snow that is almost over his head.

The only reason the snow doesn't look over his head is the several inches that are compressed under his cold little feet.


Why I Had to Buy Yarn

Our CIC_Knit List Mom Elizabeth wrote:
A trip to Russia, possibly as soon as this spring, is being discussed, which means people will be going to the orphanages where the older kids live. And this means we have a chance to send things to them. Many of us have wished we could knit for the big kids, too; here's our chance. Most of these kids are now "too old" to be adopted, and can look forward to several more years in institutional care, so make it nice! Socks, vests, and sweaters are all needed, as usual - but this time for kids aged 8 to 16.
Knitpicks Shamrock yarn in colorway MacNamaraWhile knitting mittens and now knitting on some very basic winter socks, I've been dreaming about what to knit for the older kids.

The dreaming resulted in some stash acquisition so I'll be ready to go once the starting bell rings.

This is Knitpicks Shamrock, a 100% wool heavy worsted tweed, in color MacNamara. I haven't finalized the pattern I'm going to use. One possibility is something out of Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting with variations by moi to make knitting and sewing up quicker and easier. Especially the sewing up.


24 skeins of bargain Lamb's Pride Bulky in deep red and bright blueI also bought 24 skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky mill ends from Sheep Shed Studio. Carol has this 15% mohair, 85% wool yarn for $3 a 4 ounce skein in many bright, kid colors. Service was great and I'm so pleased to be able to fill up my CIC stash bulky bin for this great price.

For the non-knitters in my family who looked at my Christmas wish list and decided this would be a good year to buy me yarn, do not despair! I DO NOT have enough yarn! I can never have enough yarn. I love getting getting new yarn! It's really one of the very nicest gifts you can give.

No comments: