Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Blogiversary Questions - Knitting Favorites Part 2

Jean asked . . .
What is your most favorite item you've ever knitted, and why?

Here are my favorites. For detail information on an item such as pattern, yarn, and gauge, click on the link given.

Marguerite wearing her freshly finshed heavy wool FLAK on a hot summer dayMy favorite cabled item: FLAK.

FLAK (Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong) is my first ever wool Aran sweater. The knitting was intense and challenging, but oh so worthwhile.

I love the color. I love the fit. I love the warmth. I love the cables.

FLAK reigns as my all time favorite knitted sweater for myself.

I am wearing and enjoying this sweater frequently now and a second Aran is on my want-to-knit list.

Barbara shawl from the frontMy favorite lace item: Barbara Shawl.

It's beautiful.

I admire it often as it hangs in my closet. But the only time I've ever worn it was for my nephew's wedding rehearsal dinner. It felt like I was wearing a giant doily, and I've come to the conclusion I am not a shawl person.

Is retraining possible?


Cozy In Cables Sweater in red lopi My favorite charity item: Cozy in Cables Toddler Vest and Cozy in Cables Toddler Sweater.

They are a quick, easy knit I designed specifically for CIC_Knit List knitters who don't have expert knitting skills, but want to knit something warm and attractive for the kids.

And, sometimes the expert knitters use the patterns as well.

knit helmet hat My most worn item: Helmet Hat.

Many times a day, five months a year, I pull this over my head, zip up my squall parka, and go for a cozy warm dog walk in the Michigan cold.

When it's only kinda cold, the chin piece goes under my chin. When it's totally frigid, the chin piece comes up over my mouth.



Dena asked . . .
Your socks are so beautifully knit. What is your favorite sock pattern?
Variety! I love trying different stitch patterns in socks. Still, there are some favorite sock patterns I come back to over and over again.

Classic Socks for the FamilyFor learning to knit socks, basic socks, and as a basis for original sock designs: Yankee Knitter Designs Classic Socks for the Family

If one knows how to knit and purl, it is possible to learn everything you need to know about how to knit a basic sock from this leaflet, including how to use double points, turn a heel, pick up the gussets, and kitchener up the toe.

I know that is true, because this pattern was my one and only sock knitting teacher.

As well as being an excellent tutorial, it has numbers for fingering, sport, and worsted weight socks for the entire family, baby to daddy, done in stockinette, k1p1 rib, k2p2 rib, or k3p1 rib. Once you get the basics down, it's a great reference for the rest of your sock knitting years.

Yankee Knitter patterns are sold at many yarn stores, including Web's.


Shetland Lace Ribbing socksMy favorite lace pattern for solid color yarn: Shetland Lace Rib Pattern.

Since I don't like droopy socks, I judge sock patterns by how likely they are to stay up.

Most lace socks don't stay up for me, so I came up with this variation on Shetland lace that includes some ribbing in the stitch pattern.


Rainbow Ripple socks in Opal Tutti FruitiFor self striping yarn: Linda Dziubala's
Rainbow Ripple pattern.

I've used this pattern for several gift socks. It's as pretty as Feather and Fan but has less holes.

And the socks stay up.


Opal Rose Hips Basketweave Ribbing Socks done For variegated sock yarn, my favorite standby pattern is Basketweave Ribbing Socks.

Because the stitch pattern base is a k3p1 ribbing, it works well for gift socks when I don't know the ankle or foot size.

It's more fun to knit than plain ribbing yet has the same elasticity.

It's gender neutral - great for men's socks when I want them to look a little fancy.

No comments: