Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Last Garnet Picture

Me, standing outside on a very hot day wearing my freshly blocked Lavold sweaterHere's the finished Lavold sweater. It started out as a pattern, Garnet from the Lavold Sentimental Journey Collection, picture here. Then I made so many changes that the only parts resembling the original pattern are the basketweave stitch and the lace up the front.

For anyone interested, changes and reasons for changes have been detailed here, here, here, here, and here.

The yarn is Lavold Silky Tweed, 40% silk, 30% cotton, 20% merino, and 10% viscose. It wasn't pleasant to knit. It split, hurt my hands, and was costly.

If it hadn't been for the costly part, this sweater would have found it's way into the never-never finish bin where I store unfinished projects for a minimum of five years before tossing them out. Occasionally I reclaim the yarn, but this sweater would not have qualified for that effort.

The yarn was/is very pretty. Its beauty is what caused its impulse purchase at the yarn store. Now that the sweater is done, I will wear and enjoy it and remember that I don't want to knit with Lavold Silky Tweed again.

So, if this sweater is finally done, why aren't I smiling in the picture?

Because it was 90+ degrees and humid. The energy needed to create a smile would have resulted in serious sweat.

Also, because the neckline is too big. When I wear a warm sweater, I want it snuggly up to my neck. Or, in other words, the sweater isn't really done. I will be un-casting off the neckline and adding to the neck ribbing. Sigh.

Do I sound a little grumpy today? It's hot and humid again and I'm about ready to go sit in front of the fan and read the new Harry Potter.

There. That made me smile.

No comments: