Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Trying Out the Stitches

Start of a scarf using stitches from the Hanover JacketOne way to answer the question "If I knit the Jean Frost Hanover Jacket, is the shadow rib going to bore me to tears?" is to try knitting some shadow rib.

So I cast on with my Knitpicks Andean Treasure, a sport weight, heathery baby alpaca, and started knitting on a scarf using the stitch patterns from the Hanover Jacket.

And the verdict is: The shadow rib flows off the needles in a nice rhythm.

I'm ready to order 18 skeins of Elegance to knit the jacket.

The leaf motif was fun to knit. Now I'm wondering if I can knit a second one and join the pieces together to make a scarf. Any advice on a good way to join ribbing?

This is not a well planned project. I don't know how to join the pieces and I don't have enough Andean Treasure.

What are the chances I can get another skein in this dyelot? Not sure. Maybe I can make a Seaman's Scarf and it won't matter (so much) if the ribbed center is a different dye lot. Depends on how close it matches. I'm pretty fussy about such things.

I may end up just calling this an experiment and frogging it. But it was a good experiment and I'm glad I did it.

No comments: