Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Starry Night Socks And First Hat

These socks were knit in Opal sock yarn dyed to mimic the colors in the Van Gogh painting Starry Night.

I think Opal did a great job with that. The socks were fun to knit and hopefully fun to wear. I have a recipient in mind. Sorry, it's no one who reads this blog.





As always, when done with a pair of socks I had two little balls of yarn left over. Not enough for another pair of socks, but enough to feature in my first charity hat of the season.

I knit these basic, warm, colorful hats by holding three strands of sock yarn together from my little leftover ball collection. When a ball runs out, I search in the bin for a suitable replacement and keep going.

Since none of the balls ever run out at the same time, it makes for an interesting mix of blended colors and keeps my interest even though the knitting process itself is boring as can be.

11 comments:

Kathleen C. said...

What a coincidence... I have a knit night friend who's making socks with exactly that same yarn! It's a very pretty colorway and your socks knitted up quite nice in it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea to use up your sock yarn. You always inspire me. ~mlk

Anonymous said...

Ohh nice colorway. I am finding it hard to get hold of Opal. I love it for hard wearing but great looking socks. And I am so glad you feel like knitting again. I have always loved reading your blog. Even if I don't comment much

Anonymous said...

Haven't you used that color way before? I really like it. Great use of the leftovers.

carol said...

Love those socks ... beautiful colorway.

kathy b said...

Great hat technique!!!!!

MarieR said...

Pretty socks, Marguerite! I've always loved your socks and when I'm feeling lazy you inspire me to pick up my knitting! Great idea for the hat. I've got lots of little balls of leftover sock yarn. Thanks! Have been meaning to ask you if your dental problem has resolved. I've been going through a similar nightmare the last three months, only not quite as much pain as you described. My bank account sure is screaming though! Hope all is well now. Take care, my friend!

Judy S. said...

Love the socks, the color too. Someone is going to be very happy! That's a nifty idea for using up the leftovers; I need to try that.

Karen said...

Thanks for the idea for what to do with all the little balls of sock yarn. I'll be trying this.

Jan said...

I saw the original starry nights at an exhibition at the National Gallery in Canberra a cole of years ago. I thought I knew what it looked like, but seeing the original took my breath away. It was one of my favourite paintings in the exhibition and the colours were so much more vivid and intense than I had ever imagined.

Not much Opal around down here although I think there's still a seller in Melbourne. I've moved past t. It wears really well but hurts my fingers to knit with it. It feels like string on the bumpy bits caused by arthritis. I still have Opal socks many years old from when I first started and they have had heaps of wear and are as good as new.

Lynn said...

LOVE those socks! Gorgeous colorway. and I love what you did with the leftover sock yarn. The hat is gorgeous! Do you treat the 3 strands as a bulky weight?