Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Knitting Log for February 21

Aguave still dampPattern: Aguave by Katherine Hunt in Summer 2005 Knitter's

Yarn: Knitpicks Shine, 60% pima cotton, 40% model

Color: River

Needles: Addi Turbo #4

Gauge: 24 stitches/4 inches in SS after washing

Aguave is assembled, washed, and still damp. It appears it's going to fit well and I'm looking forward to wearing it. When I do, there will be one more picture.

This was a fun knit. I never got tired of the pattern or the yarn. Well, maybe a little impatient on the endless sleeves, but not ready to throw it in the basket and work on something else.

I will happily use Knitpicks Shine again the next time I get the urge to knit something cottony.


John's LollipopPattern: Basic Sock

Yarn: Opal sock yarn, 75% wool, 25% nylon

Color: Lollipop 1011

Needles: Addi Turbo #1

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch

These are son John's birthday socks, cuffs done, ready to start the heel.

John is very tall and slender. So slender that I knit his socks on 64 stitches.

The foot needs to be 80 rows long from the gusset pickup to the start of the toe decreases. I'm a bit concerned about the size of that ball of yarn. Is it enough? (There's a second ball attached to the other sock.)

The front of the sock is facing the camera to show how I'm doing the ribbing. Most of the sock cuff is knit in a k3p1 ribbing, but there is a 14 stitch panel of stockinette down the front to display the handsome Lollipop stripes in all their beauty.

Gail the dog trainer has a birthday the same day as John and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to knit a pair of socks for the occasion. She got a pair for Christmas which I've never seen her wear, even though she told me she loves wearing them. Was she just being polite? I see her twice a week. The socks should have made an appearance by now. It would give me great pleasure to knit another pair of socks for her, but I don't want to give her something she doesn't really like.

I normally don't give knitted gifts unless asked. It's too easy to fall into the trap of thinking that just because I want to knit something, the recipient is going to be delighted to received it, wear it, and care for it.

No comments: