Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Pray Before Committing

There are many worthwhile causes and projects needing to be done in this world and the Lord doesn't expect me to do all of them. One of the rules I have for myself is "Don't agree to any optional project until you've prayed about it for three days."

If I would have followed my rule, I would not be facing four large empty shoeboxes in the front seat of my car that need to be wrapped and filled with toys and personal items for Operation Christmas Child.

My church is doing this project. When I first saw the announcement, I gave a moments thought to doing a shoebox and then moved on to thinking about something else.

The next week my friend Sherry mentioned that she had four shoeboxes and she had such fun shopping for the kids. I was easily caught up in her enthusiasm and next thing I knew she was bringing me three shoeboxes and I was asking my friends at work for more.

Now reality has settled in. I don't want to do this. I hate shopping. I won't digress into all the reasons I hate shopping, but one of them is physical pain from being on my feet too long. For that reason, I do most of my shopping online. This project can not be done online.

Since receiving the shoe boxes, I have prayed about this project. It's now obvious that this was my idea, not His idea. It's also obvious that since I started the project, it is now my responsibility to finish it.

I know I'm sounding like Scrooge here. Please know that I do many things to help other people. This project was not mine to do - until I made it so of my own free misguided will.

I will wrap and fill four shoeboxes. I will pray that the contents please the children who receive them. I will start praying to not resent the time and effort I am going to spend on this project. I will try to remember in the future to follow my own rule: pray BEFORE committing.

No comments: