This is the Lighthouse Gansey before I frogged it all the way back to the underarms on the front and back.
The lighthouse on the front was too tall, making the neck too high. The pattern has a turtle neck opening, which I tried to omit by lowering the neckline. There weren't enough rows to lower the neckline to make a decent looking opening.
In fact, this is the ugliest neck I've ever knit including the ones that wouldn't fit over my head. It came up so high on my neck that it rolled forward when I tried on the sweater.
The wide cable was too wide. It created large puckers in the purl rows at its base.
The sleeves were too deep. Ten inches down the front and back plus two more inches across the gusset made for arm holes twenty-two inches in circumference. I would have hated them.
The proportions of the stitch patterns were not attractive to my eyes. The filler stitch on the edges came in too far toward the neck. The cable was too close to the neck.
Frog, frog, frog.
Reknit, reknit, reknit.
I'm happier now.
The lighthouse has been moved to the sweater back. The stitch patterns have been changed and/or moved. The cables are only three stitches wide.
This is the new front with a pretty anchor in the center.
Now, on to the sleeves.
Pattern: Lighthouse Gansey by Anne Bosch with many modifications.
Yarn: Knitpicks Cotlin. 70% Tanguis Cotton, 30% Linen. DK weight.
Needles: Options #3.
Gauge: 6 stitches/inch, 8.5 rows/inch in pattern.