Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Christmas, Knitting Gifts Received

Cables, Diamonds, Herringbone: Secrets of Knitting Traditional Fishermen's Sweaters by Sabine Domnick. A gift from Granddaughter Sydney.

My knitting book collection reflects the fact that I love knitting Gansey type sweaters. Somehow I missed this book until I spotted it a few months ago and I popped it on my Amazon wish list. So glad I did.

While I have yet to study it in detail, I can tell it's going to be a popular book to pull off the shelf when I'm thinking of my next Gansey. It has some nice sweater patterns and well written technical information. There are some new to me, complicated and attractive gussets. Also Gansey designs with a shoulder strap, knit in the round with no seams.

With all the different stitch patterns, there's no reason to ever get bored knitting a Gansey. I'm looking forward to my next one.

Continuous Cables by Melissa Leapman. A gift from DH Bob.

This book has a stitch dictionary of Elsebeth Lavold type cables, cables with no beginning and no ending. There's nothing like this in my knitting library and I'm excited to have it.

There's even a music note cable. Bet I will find a place to knit that, for sure.


Using some left over yarn from my Summer Spice Gansey, I knit a little case for my new camera.

The flap is just the right length to tuck in instead of requiring a button.


Now I can carry the camera around in my purse.

Pattern: Made it up as I knit. Mostly seed stitch. Flap is 11 stitches wide. Bag is 36 stitches around. Put a four stitch cable up the front and back to supply some extra padding.

Yarn: Elann Coto Canapone. Worsted weight. 52% cotton, 48% hemp.

Color: Summer Spice.

Needles: Options #4

Gauge: 5.5 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch.

No comments: