Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, April 16, 2010

Start of Sprout


I'm pretty sure it's not good form to hold down one corner of a knitted piece with a handy sock blocker in order to get a picture. Probably not what Kathy in Iowa is going to learn in the "Photographing Your Fiber" class, with Franklin Habit she's taking in Minneapolis this weekend.

I'm not pleased with the way the color is displaying, either. Sprout, the color of the yarn, is a bright summery green. Not as bright as Kelly green, but much prettier than what's showing on my screen.

The sweater has been named Sprout after the color of the yarn.

Sprout is turning out to be a relaxing knit purling round and round on the circular needle with six interruptions for the "vine" motif. I purl slower than I knit, a fact I considered when deciding to knit the lower two-thirds of the sweater in the round.

Pattern: Cultivated Vines by Sara Louise Harper in the May, 2010 Creative Knitting

Pattern Modifications:
  • Knitting lower two-thirds of sweater in the round instead of separate front and back.
  • Pattern goes from size 38 (too small) to size 42 (too big). I'm knitting a between size, size 40 on 240 stitches.
  • Plan to use neck shaping for size 38 and sleeve shaping for size 42, fudging if necessary.

Yarn: Knitpicks Cotlin, a DK weight 70% Tanguis cotton 30% linen yarn.

Color: Sprout, a summery green.

Needles: Options #4, 3.5mm.

Gauge: 6 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch in stockinette.




Marsh Marigolds are in bloom along the creek.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I saw the pattern and thought the same thing - lots of purling in the round. Would you consider turning it inside out and knitting in the round?
Just a thought..

Judy S. said...

Love that vine pattern! Have you converted many patterns to "in the round?" I was thinking about that this morning as I was sewing seams on 2 GK sweaters.......

Dorothy said...

Sprout is looking lovely. I'll take your word on the color - it's coming out almost olive on my screen. Can't wait to hear what Kathy learns in her class. I'm a little weird in that I don't really mind purling - although I've not done a pattern where I had to purl that much!

Kathy... said...

Your "styling" is quite unique, but I learned that it is your photograph, and a photographer can do whatever they want with their photographs. So....I do believe you would have Franklin's blessings! (You certainly have mine!).

Becky said...

I love the marsh marigolds! They are in full glory along our little stream right now, too. :)

Ann said...

Sprout is looking good. I am also slower when purling & in fact, not so keen on it. I changed a pattern once to avoid purling.