The Lighthouse Gansey tentative front is done. The project is on hold while I decide if I want to do some frogging.
The pattern has a high, tight, stand up neck which I tried to avoid by making a short ribbing around a square shape. It doesn't look as nice as I was hoping because I had to bind off so loose to be able to get it over my head.
As long as the lighthouse is in front I can't really lower the neck in order to make the neckline larger, the lighthouse is too tall.
After thinking this over, the answer is to make the back the front and remove the top center back motif to create a lower neckline. The lighthouse could then remain tall up the back of my neck.
I hate it when my best design ideas happen after a project is knit. In this case, shoulders have been joined and ends have been woven in. At least I haven't picked up sleeve stitches yet.
The sweater is a perfect fit, I like the yarn and the color, and, to be truthful, I think I like the center motif on the back better than the lighthouse. So, while I'm writing all this I realize I'm going to have to frog and make the front the back in order to get a neckline I like.
But I reserve the right to chance my mind if the measurements don't work out.
Stay tuned for the rest of the story.
Pattern: Lighthouse Gansey by Anne Bosch.
Yarn: Knitpicks Cotlin. 70% Tanguis Cotton, 30% Linen. DK weight.
Needles: Options #3.
Gauge: 6 stitches/inch, 8.5 rows/inch in pattern.
Modifications: While I'm staying true to the stitch patterns, all the stitch counts have been modified to result in a 40 inch sweater. The pattern has sizes 38 (too small), 43 (too large), and 48.