Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, March 12, 2009

March Birthday Socks Done, John and Gail

The extra skein of yarn arrived from Harmony Yarn in Idaho and the socks are done and ready to be mailed out for Son John's March 18th birthday.


Pattern: Basic cuff down sock on 70 stitches around.

Stitch pattern is Boxed Cables from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 2 - Cables, Pattern 141.

I like that it has cables but still has plenty of stretch and give like socks should have because each cable ends after three crosses. It's manly and something about the looks of it pleases my eyes. Plus it was really fun to knit.


Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Happy Feet, 90% wool, 25% Nylon.

Color: 01

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch.

Dog Trainer Gail also has a birthday on March 18.

She wears my socks almost exclusively now that she's built up a collection. A few months ago she mentioned a green pair she once noticed on my feet and was hoping I was knitting her a pair from the same yarn.

Next doggy school evening, I took every pair of socks I own with green in them so she could show me the desired yarn. Rainforest II Raupe, a retired Opal pattern.

At the time I told her the yarn was no longer available. Then I came home and found/bought a skein on eBay. She will be surprised to see them.


Pattern: Plain wide ribbing, k7, p1, on 64 stitches. When I knit this colorway for myself, I tried several stitch patterns and frogged them. It begs to be by itself and show its caterpillar colors. Also, Gail likes her socks plain and snug.

Yarn: Opal sock yarn, 75% wool, 25% nylon

Color: Rainforest II, Raupe. Raupe is German for caterpillar.

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch.

No comments: