Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Shawlette Started, Road Done

When my Knitpicks box arrived yesterday, I couldn't resist casting right on.

The yarn, Andean Treasure, is my favorite Knitpicks yarn. The baby alpaca is a delight to touch, soft to wear, and the heathery colors are all so pretty. It's like an angora yarn without the excessive fuzz.

Ever since I finished Grasshopper, I've been searching for another project that might work well in Andean Treasure. It doesn't have good stitch definition for the types of patterns that appeal to me and it's not hardy enough for socks, so it's taken a while to come up with something I like.

When I saw the Summer Shawlette for the tenth time, all of a sudden it clicked - I bet that would be wonderful in Andean Treasure.

I'm taking a break from all other projects (meaning Autumn Song) to enjoy knitting this shawlette until it's done. I don't think it's going to take very long.


Pattern: Summer Shawlette, a short Faroese lacy shawl designed by Sandi Wiseheart.

Yarn: Knitpicks Andean Treasure. 100% baby alpaca in sport weight.

Color: Lilac. It's soft and heathery.

Needles: #9

Gauge: 4 stitches/inch

Monday afternoon the road construction guys came down the road with an auger and put our mailboxes back in place. Done!

Over half of my many mature shade garden footage is now in the sun. I'm looking forward to planting some of my favorite sun loving plants, but mostly we're going to cover the former garden spots with grass.


Here's a peek down the finished road. It's wider and there are no longer trees in the right of way. Instead of hitting a tree when sliding off in the winter, one can now drop down ten feet into the creek. I'm not sure that's an improvement.

There is talk about not paving the road next year. One construction man told DH that with all the moisture in the ground, the pavement wouldn't hold up and he didn't think it would ever be paved.

Later, a different construction man said he thought it was 90% probable the road would be paved. Which, to me, means there are no definite plans/budget/money for the paving. Michigan is broke. It's likely the first guy will be proven right.

But it's certainly made for an interesting summer.

No comments: