Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, September 19, 2005

Knitting Log for September 19

The five finished pieces of HanoverPattern: Hanover Jacket from Jean Frost Jackets

Yarn: Elegance, 70% baby alpaca, 30% silk DK weight from Knitpicks

Yarn Color: Barn red

Needles: #3

Gauge: 6 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch

All five pieces are done! Plus the shoulder seams and the front border including the collar.

According to the pattern, the sleeves are best set in with chain stitch using a crochet hook. I'm willing to try, but it hasn't been done yet because I have a headache, a sore throat, and a double ear infection which probably explains why I was feeling cranky and unhappy for no obvious reason last week.

I'm using my illness as an excuse to procrastinate sewing in sleeves and side seams. There has to be something good about being sick.

Yes, I've been to the doctor and have wonderful, strong Rxs to take. I expect to be much better soon. Then I'll sew the Hanover together and block it.


Finished CIC sweater in teal LopiPattern: Made it up as I went along

Yarn: Reynold's Lopi, 100% wool

Needles: #10.5

Gauge: 3 stitches/inch, 4 rows/inch

This is an uncreative toddler size sweater for the September/October CIC vest and sweater challenge.

It may not be fancy, but it sure is going to be warm on some little kid.


Start of the Violets by the River ShawlPattern: Violets by the River Shawl by Hazel Carter

Yarn: Blackberry Ridge Silk Blend Lace weight, two-ply, 25% silk, 85% wool

Yarn Color: Medium lilac

Needles: #6

Gauge: 6 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch

I've been knitting violets. What better to do when feeling half sick?

This is a super easy shawl. If I didn't like the looks of it so much, I'd be disappointed that I didn't challenge myself with something a little more difficult.

When this picture was taken yesterday noonish, 7 out of 18 rows of violets were done, or 28 violets out 171, or 16%.

After yesterday's knitting, 13 out of 18 rows of violets are done, or 91 violets out of 171, or 53%. Over half the violets are done now.

Does anyone else like to play with their numbers to keep track of where they are when knitting something like a shawl?

After going to the doctor today, I stopped by the library and checked out two books on CD with the intention of listening and knitting violets all day tomorrow.

If I were still employed, I wouldn't be sick enough to miss work. But I'm not employed and there is nothing so important to do that I can't baby myself through this miserable infection with knitting and napping.


Another errand done while in town to see the doctor was mailing off approximately two-thirds of my stash to the Restash Network. It's oh so liberating to have my yarn bins cleaned out and purged. And it feels so good to know my liberated stash is going to needy knitters who are going to knit with it.

Now I need to do the same type of purge on my book collection. Ouch! My head throbbed just thinking about it. Forget I said that.

No comments: