Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, May 13, 2005

KnitPicks Samples Knit Up

Swatches knit from KnitPicks samplesI was fortunate enough to be one of the customers who received the latest Knitpicks Catalog with knitable yarn samples inside. In anticipation of knitting a Hanover Jacket from Jean Frost Jackets, I grabbed a #4 Addi Turbo and knit them up in the pseudo rib stitch of the pattern.

I was able to get a good idea what the four yarns are like, but it's difficult to take that tiny swatch and imagine how it would be in a jacket.

The jacket pattern calls for a DK weight at 6 stitches per inch.

The resulting swatches are too small to get an accurate gauge. The approximate gauges listed below are after washing and simple lay-it-on-a-towel blocking.

Merino Style (upper left) in Iris. A 4 ply DK weight yarn, 100% Merino Wool. My approximate gauge 5.5 stitches per inch.

Very nice non-fuzzy yarn with a matte finish and good stitch definition. It's not a soft as the other three and even feels a bit like a cotton blend with elasticity.

I think I'd like knitting with it, but would need to tighten up the gauge to 6 stitches per inch for the jacket.

Andean Silk (upper right) in Lettuce. A 4 ply worsted weight yarn, 55% superfine alpaca, 23% silk, 22% merino wool. My approximate gauge 5.5 stitches per inch.

The sample was in navy blue, so I knit the swatch with a piece of left over yarn from the Backyard Leaves scarf. I already know this is a pleasant yarn to knit. It has a soft halo and a shiny finish. Very rich looking.

Wool of the Andes (lower left) in Evergreen. A 4 ply worsted weight yarn, 100% Peruvian wool. My approximate gauge 5.25 stitches per inch.

Nice, soft, basic wool. Good stitch definition.

Would be a good choice for the jacket except for the gauge. I'll be using it for CIC socks once I get my current CIC sock yarn stash used up.

Andean Treasure (lower right) in Old Rose. A sport weight yarn, 100% baby alpaca. My approximate gauge 6.25 stitches per inch.

moderately fuzzy and heathery. Very soft.

When I first knit the sample I thought the size 4 needle was too large, but the yarn bloomed after washing and the stitches are not too loose at all.

No comments: