Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Raggi Report

Bob's brown ragg Christmas socks in progressPattern: k1p1 ribbing cuff and stockinette foot on 48 stitches

Yarn: Jarbo Garn Raggi, 70% wool, 30% nylon, heavy worsted weight available at Patternworks

Color: 1574 - brown ragg

Needles: Addi Turbo #5

Gauge: 5.5 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch in stockinette

In the comments Doris asked . . . "Don't the people who get your Christmas knitting read your blog?"

Gail, the dog trainer, does not.

Bob, the future recipient of these socks, does. Since he picked out the yarn and has very narrow ideas on what makes the perfect pair of socks, they are not going to be a surprise even if I keep them hidden.

Don't worry about Bob. He loves his hand knit socks so much that he will enjoy opening the package even if he knows what's in it. And, just maybe, he'll get something else from me that is a surprise.

This is how far I got on the first sock before putting it aside for a few weeks to participate in Knit Unto Others. I wanted to post a picture now for those who are wondering how this yarn knits up.

So far I give it an A+. It's strong but soft and warm. Very plush. Not hard on the hands even though I'm knitting it at a tight sock gauge of 5.5 stitches/inch.

Final yarn judgment won't happen until the socks have been worn around the house without shoes for a while and been through the wash numerous times. I'm predicting they will hold up great.

Bob wears a 9EE shoe and I'm going to get a sock with an 8 inch cuff out of less than a skein. Since I bought three skeins for insurance, I think I'm going to have enough left over for a pair for myself.

No comments: