Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, November 27, 2006

Mittens - Five Pair Done

Knit Unto Others KAL button

Purchases from Handweavers Inspiring Yarn ShopAs a little side trip while doing the final Thanksgiving grocery shopping last Tuesday, I stopped by the Handweaver's Inspiring Yarn Shop to pick up a few necessities for Knit Unto Others CIC_Knit List mittens.

My main goal was to pick up some #4 double points to replace a set where one needle dropped into the baseboard radiator. I'll get the lost needle back someday, but taking the house apart was more effort than I wanted to go through right now.

Once at the yarn shop, I realized I really did need some yarn.

The Lamb's Pride Bulky in neutral dark gray is needed to mix with leftover partial balls of Lopi and Lamb's Pride in various colors that don't work well together. Now I can knit many pair of gray and some-pretty-color mittens, hopefully using up my little odds and ends.

The blue variegated is Naturally Nazareth, an Aran weight wool by Kraemer Yarns. I needed it . . . well, I'm not sure why I needed it. It just jumped in my basket and said it wanted to be mittens for the kids.


First five pair of mittens for the mitten challengeWith eight Knit Unto Others days down and six Knit Unto Others days to go, I have used some of everything I bought and produced five pair of mittens.

The pattern is mostly Jean's No Swatch, No Gauge Mittens for Kids.

The two red pair in the top row are knit with Firecracker Heather Wool of the Andes from Knitpicks and my new #4 bamboo needles.

The large gray and pink pair are knit with leftover pink Lopi and my new Lamb's Pride Gray on #7 double points. A rather tight knit. By the time they're washed, they will be windproof and super warm.

There is no more leftover pink Lopi in my stash. In fact, I had to top the thumbs with gray to finish the pair.

The green pair are knit with leftover Lopi.

The Kraemer Yarn got its wish to become mittens. They are knit with #5 double points and I have plenty left for a second pair.

No comments: