Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

CIC Questions

So many questions on the CIC socks!

I'll do my best to answer with the disclaimer that I am not an expert on CIC, only a lowly knitter bee CIC_Knit List group member.

Jill asked . . .
Why do you tie the pairs together at the toe instead of the cuff? Is one way better than the other?
One way is not better than the other as long as the tie is obvious and easily removed.

I like to admire my cuffs without having them messed up with a tie, so I put the tie on the toes.


Darlene asked . . .
What would be a most basic pattern?
The Mini-Basketweave Toddler Sock Pattern is a basic 28 stitch sock out of worsted weight yarn.

A sock pattern very similar to the mini-sock you knit to learn sock knitting is Quick and Easy Toddler Socks by Sherie at Whimsey Knits.

For a super simple pattern complete with sock knitting tutorial, I highly recommend Yankee Knitter Classic Socks. It has baby, children, and adult socks in fingering weight, sport weight, and worsted weight yarn.

It is so well written that I learned to knit socks from it, including how to use double points and how to kitchener. A treasure I still use for reference.


Darlene asked . . .
I believe the yarn has to be wool? I have only used wool once and that was to felt a purse. If wool is used when it gets washed won't it felt down and not be wearable?
Here's a quote from CIC_Knit List Mom Elizabeth that answers your concerns.
This is not a "wool snob" issue. CIC has asked for at least 60% (they actually prefer at least 75%, and I always use 100%) wool or other animal fiber simply because it's significantly warmer.

It's cold, indoors and outdoors, where these kids live. Imagine an indoor temperature of 45 Fahrenheit (that's about 7 Celsius) in the winter.

If you're worried that wool might shrink:
(1) if you consider the fact that some kids don't even have hot water for baths, it's clear that it won't be used for laundry;
(2) given the price of energy and the poverty of the orphanages, no one's going to put anything in a dryer;
(3) wool is still used quite commonly in Europe, so most people are more familiar with caring for it; and
(4) if all else fails and the socks do shrink, a smaller child will be able to wear them.



Vivian asked . . .
Is it ok if I link your blog to mine?
I love it when like minded bloggers link to Stitches of Violet!


Anastacia asked . . .
Are these all in worsted weight? What type of yarn is the reddish yarn in the same photo (as the green socks)?
I knew I should have written about the yarn used, but I was feeling lazy and wanted to get back to my knitting. Now I will pay the piper and tell all.

If you go back to the post showing the CIC socks, I have added yarn information.

No comments: