Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Basketweave Toddler Sock for CIC

Basketweave Toddler Sock for CIC One sock down and one to go. These little socks knit up very quickly on #5 needles and worsted weight wool. This pair is Cascade 220, a 100% wool that flows off the needles.

It's a bit of a challenge to come up with different stitch patterns to put on the cuff. With only 28 stitches around, the pattern needs to have a low number of stitches and rows in order to look good. (Hum, maybe I can prove that theory wrong. I'll have to work on that.)

Also, my feeling is that it's best if the stitch pattern has some elasticity in order to fit a variety of foot shapes. I've read that the young children do not have their own clothing assigned to them, so a different child may be wearing the socks each time they are washed.

The little basketweave pattern meets the above requirements and is interesting and fun to knit.

I will write up the pattern and post it here sometime within the next week. I can test knit the pattern while knitting the second sock and have a pair ready to send off.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

I love your new site and look forward to seeing all the beautiful knitting you do. And maybe even getting an idea or two.

www.ailurophile.com/catmom/

Anonymous said...

Hi! What a cute sock. I'd love the pattern. I've been cranking out CIC socks (mostly with Fisherman's wool, size 4 needles, and 36 stitches! I'm developing my own formula, it seems). I am always looking for inspiration in terms of patterns/ribbing/stitches. These are adorable. And 28 sts on size 5s means I could make even more...
Thanks!
~nick

Marguerite said...

Thanks Marsha and Nick. The pattern should be up soon. I'm just finishing up a second pair to make sure the pattern works as written.