Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Yarn for Autumn Song

Remember Autumn Song, the Acorn Sweater from the Japanese pattern book New Style of Heirloom Knitting?

It was going to be my summer knitting project, but I couldn't decide on a yarn to use and ended up knitting the Red White Gansey as an interim project.

Before the Idaho trip, I ordered some sample yarn from Knitpicks and vowed to make a decision and order yarn when I got home.

Done!


These three colors are Swish, a superwash, worsted weight 100% wool.

Swish is a lovely yarn, but none of the three colors is perfect for my Autumn Song.

From left to right:
  • Fired Brick - too dark and too blue toned. Will use yarn for CIC socks.

  • Copper - A beautiful warm brown. Made the final cut before elimination. Will use for CIC socks.

  • Light Coral - Loved it, but it really isn't an "oak" color. Plus I have two similar colored sweaters in my closet as it's one of my favorites. I may stash it a while for possible future swatching on a yet unknown project.


Here are three Wool of the Andes Worsted weight, 100% wool colors.


  • Firecracker Heather (top) - Winner! I ordered 22 skeins of it today. This shade of warm red with the subtle heathering just screams Autumn Song to me. Yes, I just finished a red sweater. Firecracker Heather is different enough so I won't feel like I'm knitting the same color.

  • Forest Heather (bottom left) - This gorgeous dark heathered green yarn is the color of mature oak leaves. If I wasn't in love with the Firecracker Heather, I'd swatch it for stitch definition. My guess is that it's a little dark for a cabled sweater. I'm going to keep it in mind for future projects.

  • Amber Heather (bottom right) - Another lovely color and it does look "oaky". This type of color was high on my list when I was younger and red headed. It's not so great with white hair. Red is better. These skeins will be CIC socks.

No comments: