Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, July 16, 2007

Swatches for Autumn Song

Click on picture for larger view.

Pattern: Herbstlied (Autumn Song) from New Style of Heirloom Knitting.

Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, a light worsted weight 100% wool.

Color: Firecracker heather

Needles: Options #5.



The pattern in the book is written in one size, 39.2 inches around. The gauge is 5.9 stitches/inch and 8.5 rows/inch.

I need a little larger size, some where between 40 and 42 inches around. Before starting to swatch, I calculated my ideal gauge to be 5.5 stitches/inch and 8.5 rows/inch. But, I'm not afraid to do math and am ready to work with whatever gauge pleases me most in the swatches.


#4 (3.5 mm) needle, bottom swatch.
Resulting gauge: 5.8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch.

Notes: Too tight. The stitch patterns didn't come out even in length and the oak leaf is warped from being knit too tight. Since this is close to the gauge of the actual pattern, I'm guessing the sweater in the book is knit using DK or sport weight yarn.

#6 (4.25mm) needle, top swatch.
This swatch is missing the 4 garter stitches on each side found on the other two swatches.

Resulting gauge: 5.5 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch.

Notes: Resulting fabric is a little too floppy.

#5 (3.75mm) needle, center swatch.
Resulting gauge: 5.5 stitches/inch, 8.4 rows/inch.

Notes: Nice. Good stitch definition but not too firm to hang attractively. I'll be using #5 needles for my Autumn Song. Ready to cast on as soon as my yarn order arrives.

Click on the label Herbstlied at the end of this post to see all posts on this blog mentioning Herbstlied.

No comments: