Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Knitting Log for June 8

Lavold sweater with one partially finished sleeveI'm going to use age as an excuse to limit my knitting on these sleeves to twenty or less rows a day.

When I rashly decided to make myself finish the sleeves before starting another project, I had forgotten that extended knitting on this cotton type yarn hurts my hands, shoulders, and sometimes neck. Those of you who are too young and/or limber to identify with this problem, be thankful and enjoy.

It's not like I need to finish this sweater quick so I can wear it. It's 90+ degrees outside. But I do need to finish it. So my revised promise to myself is that it will stay next to my kitchen knitting chair and I will pick it up and knit a few rows on it often until the sleeves are done.

You won't see another picture of this sweater until it's done and blocked. I've tried it on and the fit is perfect. I'm going to enjoy wearing it when it's finished and the weather is cooler.


First four pattern repeats of Matthew's scarf knit in barn red EleganceOne thing leads to another OR you can't do anything without doing something else first.

I want to knit Susan's Branching Out scarf in a seaman's style so the ends will be symmetrical.

A seaman's scarf is:
A short scarf consisting of a relatively narrow section of ribbing draped over the back of the neck and a more decorative section at either end that can be worn over the upper chest.

Since I've never knit a seaman's scarf, I went in search of a pattern and found Matthew's Scarf by Myrna Stahman, perfect for the barn red Elegance yarn just received from Knitpicks.

Note added June 11: The scarf in the picture is Matthew's Scarf being knit in Elegance, not the Branching Out scarf. I'm using the Matthew's Scarf pattern to learn how to knit a seaman's scarf, and then I'm going to knit the Branching Out scarf using green Andean Treasure - unless I change my mind before then.
End of Note.

There's a provisional chain caston on the top which will eventually be the ribbing part of the scarf and the second end. I'm following the pattern exactly for a change, and hoping the finished scarf will signal the graduation of my seaman's scarf education.

The Elegance yarn is easy on my hands, soft with great stitch definition, and is still the number one contender for the Jean Frost Jacket I plan to knit when my hands heal from knitting the Lavold.

No comments: