Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, October 06, 2003

Please Release Me, Let Me Go

57 more work days until I'm Pfired. I need to do this countdown in order to have the reality of the situation sink in. Soon I will be unemployed/retired after twenty-five plus years of working full time.

Most of the time I smile when I think about it. But there are little niggling worries, too. What will it be like to have all that freedom? All that time? No structure? No paycheck?!!

Will I really be a better housekeeper when I'm not working? Will I stay up too late and sleep in too long? What will I have for lunch? I've been buying lunch at work for twenty-five plus years.

I plan to spend the first week vegging out: sleeping in, reading, knitting, messing around on the web. After that I will need to add some structure and routine to my life. Surely I have the self-discipline to do that. Don't I?

Now that I've spit out my niggling worries in this blog, it's time to show some confidence about this major life change. All - yes every single one - of the former workmates who have been Pfired/retired before me are loving it. They are finding new interests, doing new things, and looking ten years younger when I see them. I plan to do the same.

No comments: