Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Snapshot of My Life on July 5

For a 'snapshot', this post is picture poor. But it is a record of what is happening right now and someday I will come back and read it and remember when.

Weather in SW Michigan ...
It's been a beautiful long weekend so far, with highs in the 70s and nightly lows in the 50s.

Really? ...
Last week the first junk mail with my new married name arrived. It was two new membership cards from AARP.

I am not and have never been a member of AARP. Wonder where they get their mailing list.

Something from the kitchen ...
Things are leaving the kitchen! I've realized that when I'm home for a meal it's going to be quick and easy, so I may as well start cleaning out the cabinets.

Thursday I cleaned out three cabinets. Took the good stuff over to Jay's to review if we were going to keep his or mine. The rejected duplicates were dropped off at Goodwill today.

I am creating...
With Jay's partnership, we are doing our best to create a house where we will be both be happy and we can live together.

Very soon we are going to get paint samples of the colors we are considering for the house. We've looked at them in paint chips and in virtual rooms online. Now it's time for the acid test.

Jay bought and primed 2' x 2' pieces of drywall for use to paint. We have large samples of all our flooring and the kitchen countertop and backsplash. After hours and hours of looking and discussing, we are so ready to have the paint color decision done.

I am procrastinating ...
Cleaning out the basement at my current house.

Maybe it's not actually procrastinating. I just decided to do the main level first.

Seen anything good on Facebook lately? ...


Something new for me ...
Last week I started sorting through my papers and files with the goal to merge them into Jay's filing system as we prepare to join households.

The 'new' thing I noticed is that Marguerite Hammond now looks normal for my name. It was a little strange to see papers with Marguerite Byrne, my name for the past 39 years, on them. This mental transition took about four months. It feels great to be done with it.

A few plans for the next few days
Tomorrow is church and lunch out afterward with church friends.

Monday is the electrical walkthru.

We will be painting color samples on drywall.

The car needs an oil change, and I hope to sort out more papers and kitchen cabinets.

Giving thanks for ...
A few days ago Jay said, "Who'd a thunk it?" I suggested we make that our summary of the last year and a half. I NEVER would have thunk it. Not any of it. And I'm very very thankful for this unexpected sweet time in our lives.

And ...
I'm enjoying blogging again. My knitting readers are likely wondering where the knitting is. Knitting got me through many difficult years and right now I'm happy to have my mind elsewhere. But there is still knitting in my blood, and eventually when life returns to a moderate pace I'm sure I'll pick up the needles again.

7 comments:

Judy said...

What a lovely life! So glad you are enjoying it.

Janice in GA said...

Blog about whatever you want to blog about -- knitting, new house, new love, whatever!

I'm enjoying reading it all. :) Much joy to you both!

Judy S. said...

Oh my gosh, you're back to blogging and I'm just now finding out. So good to hear from you, and now I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Anonymous said...

I, too, am happy you are back blogging. It is fun to watch the progress on the new house. It would be nice to watch your knitting projects, but this part of your life has been enjoyable to watch. Best wishes

carol said...

We all deserve a bit of happiness - congrats!

Kathy... said...

You go girl! I can hear the smile in your words! Makes me smile for you..... :)

Ruth in So. MD said...

Speaking as a knitting reader, I'm loving hearing about your new life and your house project. I was scrolling through my old bookmarked blogs and was happy to see that you are blogging again. Congrats on your new chapter of your life!