Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wednesday Wings - Woodpeckers


Hairy Woodpecker on the left, Downy Woodpecker on the right. They're identical except for size.

It was a little over fifty degrees today. Winter in SW Michigan isn't over yet, but we're getting a nice February thaw with lots of mud and slush.

Funny how fifty degrees feels so cold in autumn, but it's down right balmy after several months of frigid winter. I think I post that thought every spring, but every spring I wonder about it.


Here's Mr. Hairy all by himself looking very awesome. This time of year he spends some time each day "drumming" for a mate.

Wouldn't it be easier just to meet a female at the feeding station?


On the left is a female Downy. On the right is a White-breasted Nuthatch.

The Nuthatches love to be upside down. Once I heard a so-called bird expert on the radio say that birds require gravity to eat because they can't swallow. Obviously that's not always true. And maybe never. I don't bother listening to him anymore.

2 comments:

kathy b said...

i have very rarely had a nuthatch at our home....in many years...maybe twice. I LOVE THEM

Dorothy said...

Love the woodpecker photos. We do get some here, but they're very camera shy. I am SO ready for spring. Although our winter has been relatively mild, I'm still tired of the grey, cloudy days. Daffodils are poking their heads out of the ground here, so it's on its way.