Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Super Surgilator Isn't Surging

4 years ago, September 23, 2006, I wrote this post praising my washing machine . . .



I've owned this Whirlpool washer since we moved here in 1991 and I'm sure I've washed thousands of loads of laundry in it.**

Last week for the very first time I noticed that there are raised letters (they don't show in this picture) on top of the agitator spelling out
SUPER SURGILATOR.

Imagine a conference room full of marketing types brainstorming names for their agitator and coming up with that. Hear the laughter?

As evidenced by the fact that Whirlpool washers are still being sold with Super Surgilators today, 15 years later (Yes really. I Googled it.), the name must be a marketing success story.

I give the Super Surgilator an A+. It gets the clothes clean in hard water, has an impressive repair record, and now that I've finally seen the writing on the agitator it's good for a chuckle every time I do a load of wash.

**Doubt the thousands? I thought it sounded a bit much, so I did the math.

15 years X 52 weeks = 780 weeks
780 weeks X 5 loads a week (average) = 3,900 loads of laundry

Fast Forward to September, 2010 . . .

Super Surgilator is broken. Instead of surging, all it does is wobble around a little. Not even enough to make suds.

The repair man is coming tomorrow. I've been pricing new washers and am hoping a service call will take care of the problem. I miss my Surgilator. And I'm running out of clean underwear.

8 comments:

Susanne said...

Do you mean "fast forward to September 2010"?? you wrote 2000 and so it figures that is just a typo...just sayin'....hope it gets fixed quick!

Carrie said...

Boo Hoo for You! Sometimes those repair guys can work wonders for little cost...hope that's the way it works for you.

Alwen said...

Our first washer was a hand-me-down my husband's grandmother bought from her friend, who was moving to Florida.

I got 13 years out of that washer before I had to buy a new one!

I'm afraid they really don't make 'em like that any more.

Linda said...

I slso have a Super Surgilator that wasn't surging. the repair was relatively easy, quick, and cheap. I hope yours is as well.

Jan said...

Too bad you don't live closer. I'm away from home,spending time at our place on the river.

In my laundry room sits an almost new Whirlpool front loader, unused.

My husband claims he doesn't know how to use it.

...and yes, he has run out of underwear...

Anonymous said...

I hope the repairman fixed your surgilator but of course, now I have to look at mine. :)

thistledown musings said...

We moved our Whirlpool back here from AK in 1996. I am sure it is at least 20 yrs old and we had 3 children. It is still going strong.

Judy S. said...

Hope you get your machine fixed! We had to replace ours recently and I don't like it...sounds like we should have chosed Whirlpool!