Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Chat Back for April 3

Answering questions from comments and email.

Lee commented . . .
(In a whisper, to Mrs B.Bird) the box... pick the box...

Keep whispering.

There are two boxes with frequent bluebird sightings, but no nest building has started yet.


Kathy B asked . . .
If I knit sock yarn on 1s it is good. I don't like 1s. If I knit them on 3's do I need a pattern to make the gauge work? I'm confused. NOT by you. My math mind is trying to grow........

Sock fabric takes a lot of abrasion and needs to be tightly knit, so when knitting socks with sock weight/fingering weight yarn I would never go larger than #1, (2.5mm). I often use the smaller #1 (2.25mm). It's not unheard of to knit fingering weight socks on 0s (2.0mm).

If you want to knit socks with #3 needles, perfectly beautiful socks can be made with sport weight yarn.


Jan commented. . .
The daffodils must look a cheery splash of colour to you.



Yes indeed.



And the Goldfinches are making good progress with their molting.

Many of the Goldfinch bellies are all yellow now, but the backs still have a ways to go before the males are handsome enough to attract a mate.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I usually use 1.75mm needles for fingering weight sock yarn. I'm a somewhat loose knitter and I like my socks sturdy.

Kathleen C. said...

I am in the process of ripping out a pair of socks that I started on 2s. The pattern had called for that size and I thought maybe it was needed because of the patterning (although lace it has some teisted stitches). But no. It's too limp and too loose. So I'll be starting over... on 1s.