Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, May 08, 2009

Kai-Mei Socks Done

Kai Mei was chosen by the Sock Innovation Ravelry for the May KAL (KnitALong).

If you knit this pattern, make sure you have the Sock Innovation errata. The corrections are substantial and important for Kai-Mei.


Kai-Mei (which I keep wanting to write as Mai-Kei) is not one of my favorite patterns in Cookie's book.

It's a lovely design and an interesting construction, but I'm a very practical person who wears "sensible" shoes. The cuff is all k3, p3 ribbing. Having the pretty detail on the foot would have caused me to skip over this design if I hadn't decided to do the KAL before knowing what the pattern was going to be.

Since I felt luke warm about the pattern, I picked some unloved yarn that's been in my stash for years. It's Opal Prisma, a yarn club selection I never would have bought at the store. One of the most boring Opals ever, but too busy and bright for most stitch patterns. I remember groaning when I opened the package.

Surprise! I actually like these socks. Not LOVE! them, but I do like them.


They're just a little big for me, so they'll be going to Mom. That works out best anyway, because she wears her socks around her apartment without shoes so she'll have plenty of opportunity to gaze down and enjoy the design on the foot.





Pattern: Kai-Mei from Sock Innovation by Cookie A.

Yarn: Opal, 75% Superwash wool, 25% Nylon.

Color: Prisma

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette.

No comments: