Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, March 02, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook for March 2

These writing prompts are available from Simple Woman's Daybook where each Monday we're invited to join in celebrating the beauty of everyday moments around us.

FOR TODAY March 2, 2009...

Outside my window...
Winter is hanging on. Last night the low was 5 F/-15 C and tonight it will be the same if not lower.

Daytime temps are not going above freezing so the left over snow isn't melting.


I am thinking...
How much my life stays the same. One Simple Woman's Daybook could be substituted for another without much accuracy being violated. That's why I've been doing this the first Monday of the month instead of every Monday.

I am thankful for... So many things. But right now, this very moment, I'm thankful for a quiet, peaceful Monday and the opportunity to sit with my laptop and write this blog post.

From the kitchen...
Last year's bills and records are spread out on the kitchen table to mark the beginning of income tax time.

I am wearing...
Buejeans that are a size larger than is good for me, an old light blue cotton cabled sweater from Land's End, blue handknit socks, and New Balance walking shoes.

I am creating...
Instead of putting the few little balls of left over Bretton away, I unraveled the swatch to add to them, found some wool/mohair to knit along with them, and cast on a scarf with a knit/purl heart pattern.

Now, with about a foot done, I'm not loving it and wishing I would have made a couple of hats instead. The stitch pattern is not fun to knit and the result is mediocre at best.

Frogging double stranded knitting is tedious and an invitation to make a knotted mess. It's in time out for the moment. Every time I think about knitting four or five more feet of this scarf it gets closer to the frog pond. I predict it will be croaking soon.


I am going...
To get up and practice trumpet in a few minutes.

I am reading...
Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz.

Sometimes total fluff is just what's needed for a cold, lazy afternoon and nobody writes fluff better than Jayne Ann Krentz/Amada Quick. I always smile and grab when I see she has a new book at the library.

I am hoping...
To stay healthy in March. There's a lot I want to get done before the serious yard work starts in April.

I am hearing...
Grumbling from my little sister Carrie in North Carolina who thinks she's going to get sympathy for four inches of snow today. I'm trying, but so far all I can do is laugh. She grew up in Michigan. I'm sure she can handle it.

Around the house...
The bird feeders are almost empty of birds. It may be bone chilling cold outside, but the birds have staked out their nesting territories and they're not anxious to leave them.

One of my favorite things...
A box of goodies from Knitpicks came in the mail today.

I only buy a new knitting book if I'm sure it contains something that isn't found in my many, many other knitting books. After seeing Pat's Socks from New Pathways for Sock Knitters by Cat Bordhi, I knew I had to have this book to play with.

Every knitter knows that Knitpicks has great prices on knitting books PLUS if the order reaches $50 there is free shipping. And who wants to pay shipping when they can buy knitting stuff with the same money?

The needle sizer has separate holes for 2.25mm and 2.50 mm (the two sizes that are both called #1 in the US), something my other needle sizers are missing. The blue Cotlin is to knit a little trial something to see if I like the yarn enough to use it for a larger project. The rest are Options needles and needle pieces to help fill out my collection. Options are my favorite needles.


A few plans for the rest of the week:
Finish John's birthday socks to the point I run out of yarn. Start Gail's birthday socks which are going to be plain, just the way she likes them. Peruse the Cat Bordhi book and possibly start knitting something interesting from it.

It's going to be a busy week, so I may not get that far. Three trips to Kalamazoo are scheduled: Lunch with a friend, haircut followed by (not confirmed) lunch with Mom, and trumpet lesson.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
Even the trees are cold today.

But it's not snowing and there is no snow in this week's forecast - another thing I'm grateful for.

No comments: