Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chat Back for February 21

Answering questions from comments and email.

Maureen asked . . .
Are you counting birds this weekend for the national bird count?

I confess to being too lazy to do this. We have feeders on three sides of the house and so many birds that it didn't sound like fun at all.


Kate asked . . .
Sometime can you explain gauge ratio?

This is actually simple, but it sounds complicated and some people tune out because they think it requires math.

I'm going to save this question for a separate blog post, hopefully next week, and I'll attempt to explain it in simple English with no math required.


Diane asked . . .
I'm a very slow knitter, but I was wondering how long does it take you to make those socks?
There are some things I just do NOT want to know and how many hours it takes to knit something is right up at the top of the list.

I also don't want to know how much we spend each year keeping three dogs happy, healthy, well groomed, and well fed.

A slightly more serious answer: I'm a medium speed knitter. I think a worsted weight kid sock takes about six hours to knit. But, I really don't know.


Diane asked . . .
I like the ribbing pattern. Is it one you can share?

Sure. It's a two row variation on a k1,p1 ribbing with a six stitch multiple.

These instructions are for knitting in the round.

Row 1: k3, p1, k1, p1
Row 2: k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1



Here's the best chart I can manage in Blogger.
O = Knit
X = Purl

XOXOOO
XOXOXO
XOXOOO
XOXOXO


Janna asked . . .
And did she like the socks?

AND
Lynn asked . . .
Did she like the matching socks?

We left for lunch without trying on the socks, so I don't know for sure.

I'm guessing she'll like the socks alot unless there's a problem with the fit. Mom is one of my biggest socks fans.

All the pictures with Mom holding the socks were taken with the camera flash on. Notice how the vest cables don't show up? I've never been able to get good knitting pictures with a flash.



Renna asked . . .
I'm not sure what you meant about crossing those stitches, but I sure like that look!

Pattern: Basic cuff down socks knit on 56 stitches. Stitch pattern is k2, p2 rib with the k2 stitches crossed every 4th row.

The cross is a two stitch cable crossed in front every four rows. The cables are staggered so alternate cable columns get crossed on a cabling row.


Multiple of 8 stitches, 4 rows. Instructions are for knitting in the round.

Row 1: p2, k2, p2, k2
Row 2: p2, C2 , p2, k2
Row 3: p2, k2, p2, k2
Row 4: p2, k2, p2, C2

C2 = Slip one stitch onto cable needle and hold in front. Knit next stitch from left hand needle. Knit stitch from cable needle.

Picture and info on finished socks is here.


Lynn asked . . .
More snow huh?? And heavy snow?!?! I hope you have a well stocked pantry!!

For most of the day it lightly snowed to the tune of about three new inches. I happily assumed they overestimated the storm and things were going to stay reasonable.

This evening we're getting heavy snow. The wind has picked up and visibility is poor.

Our National Weather Service forecast calls for 5 inches today, 3 inches tonight, and 3 more inches tomorrow. They like to break up the amounts into smaller units so we don't all freak out.

I can add. That's 11 inches. Make it stop!!!!!

Since it probably isn't going to stop, I'm happy to report the pantry is well stocked especially with the important things like dog food, dog treats, bird seed, and yarn.

No comments: