Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Knitting Update for August 28

The back of Painful Pearl is done and the front is about an inch above the armhole split.

Since this yarn has no give to it and I want this project done, I decided to once again do small gussets and drop sleeves. I need to knit the sleeves top down so I can incorporate the lace triangle that is also on the center front.

There may be a yarn supply problem. The yarn on the cone is getting rather thin considering it needs to supply about six inches on the front and both sleeves. I'm not buying more even if it's available, so the sleeves may end up shorter than ideal.


The lower horizontal lace pattern goes all around the sweater. It falls below the bust, above the belly.

The upper horizontal lace pattern on the back was unplanned, but I got so tired of knitting stockinette that I decided it needed to be there.


Pattern: My own creation. I'm calling it "Painful Pearl" because knitting this yarn hurts my hands and the yarn color is Seed Pearl.

The horizontal lace pattern is the Garland Pattern on page 252 of A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker. Two rows of stockinette were added before and after the start of the lace.

The lace triangle is adapted from the Idella Seamen's Scarf in Stahman's Shawls and Scarves by Myrna Stahman.

Yarn: Elann Soie Lin. DK weight. 70% silk, 30% linen.

Color: Seed Pearl.

Needles: Options #4.

Gauge: 6.25 stitches/inch, 9 rows/inch after washing.

Remember this swatch from last March?

For all practical KAL purposes, it's Labor Day and time to cast on Chenille. Dorothy has started hers, and I need to get Painful Pearl finished quick so I can cast on mine.

If I cast on the soft smooth alpaca before finishing Painful Pearl, PP will never get finished. I love knitting alpaca and it's going to feel even more wonderful than normal after struggling with Painful Pearl.


Pattern: Set-in Sleeve Aran from Janet Szabo's book Aran Sweater Design.

I'm calling it Chenille because the cable designs are similar to patterns found in old fashioned chenille bedspreads.

Yarn: Elann Peruvian Pure Alpaca, 100% fine grade alpaca, worsted weight.

Color: Creole Pink

Needles: Options #5

Gauge: 5 stitches/inch, 7.5 rows/inch

No comments: