Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Knitting Log for April 8

Swatches for Frances and Barbara shawlsLast week I did more swatching with the fingering weight linen.

Both are Faroese shawl swatches from Stahman Shawls and Scarves. The top is Frances, the bottom Barbara.

Knitting the first three swatches, Elizabeth, Gracie, and Marialis, I decided I liked the linen best on #4 needles, so I stuck with #4s for both of these.

I was excited all the while I was knitting the Frances swatch thinking it was the perfect shawl for the linen yarn. After the swatches were washed and blocked, it was obvious that I preferred the looks of Barbara. Barbara more delicate and the edging is pretty and rounded.

That doesn't mean I'm never going to knit Frances, but for this yarn in this color, Barbara is the chosen one.


Start of Barbara shawl in gray fingering weight linenPattern: Barbara Faroese Shawl from Stahman Shawls and Scarves

Yarn: Louet Euroflax linen, fingering weight

Color: Gray

Needles: #4

Friday evening was cast on time. And away we go.


FLAK with body 2 thirds donePattern: Follow the Leader Aran by Janet Szabo

Yarn: Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool

Color: Antique Rose

Needles: US #5

Gauge: 22 stitches/4 inches in Moss Stitch

The FLAK body has turned into mindless knitting. Well, I do have think a little to make sure the cable crossings are going the right way. But not much.

The body measures eight inches down from the underarm seams and I calculate I need 24 more rounds to get the length I want before starting the ribbing.

I'm hoping we get one more FLAK installment with helpful hints on how to pickup the neckline and make it look nice. When knitting sweaters I frog necklines more than any other part. I'm good at making them too big and making them too small. The FLAK neckline will be more challenging than usual picking up stitches along those ruffly cables.


Andean Treasure Lagoon swatchNormally I find a pattern I want to knit and then go looking for yarn. This is an exception.

I want to knit myself a sweater using Knitpicks Andean Treasure, a 100% alpaca sport weight yarn. I've been trying to imagine what kind of pattern to use for a soft, fluffy alpaca yarn.

A few days ago I swatched the Larkspur Lace Pullover in the Spring 2005 Cast On. The picture in the magazine is not clear plus the sweater is knit in a variegated yarn. Without looking at the stitch charts, you'd never guess this sweater had an interesting stitch pattern.

The entire Larkspur Lace sweater is knit in the eyelet pattern seen just above the eyelet ribbing in the swatch. I think the part of the swatch without eyelets shows off the beauty of the heathered alpaca better. If I use any eyelets in my version of this sweater pattern, I'll use them sparingly.

This is going in my stack of potential future projects.

No comments: