Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Sleeves and Birds

After sewing up the side seams, weaving in ends, and doing some research and calculations, I was able to start the short row sleeve cap on the Lavold sweater. It's looking great. I'm sure I'm going to like this method of setting in sleeves top down without a seam, but I'm not sure that the first try is going to be the final try.

Since the rest of the sweater wasn't knit with Walker's top down method, I had to guess a bit on the numbers. About one more inch and I think I'll be able to tell if the first try is going to be a good fit. At that point I'll take a picture to post, even if I'm going to rip it out and try again.

Meanwhile, here are two pictures of things going on in the yard.

Six day old tree swallows in the feathered nestYesterday six tree swallow eggs hatched in one of the east nest boxes. They're tiny, naked, and well sheltered in their feather nest.

Fortunately it was a beautiful, warm day in West Michigan, so there was no problem opening the nest box and getting a picture. Well, actually there were a few little problems.

It was a challenge to hold the feathers out of the way to see the hatchlings without destroying the cosy structure loving made by mom and dad tree swallow. And mom and dad tree swallow were very irate about the home invasion. They circled and dive bombed until I left.


Jack in the PulpitYesterday I was walking out in the west side yard. It's heavily shaded with pine and oak trees and pretty much left to grow natural, except for groups of hostas I've planted for color.

It was a surprise to find this lovely Jack-in-the-Pulpit growing big and healthy under a pine tree. We've lived here fourteen years and this is the first time I've seen one on our property or anywhere nearby.

They make berries/seeds in the fall, so I suspect this plant arrived via bird poop. It looks happy here. I hope it spreads and multiples.

Thanks little bird, wherever you are.

No comments: