Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Snapshot For August 25

Weather in SW Michigan ...
Beautiful! The past week has been perfect. Sunny, not too hot, cooler in the evening. What a shame summer is almost over. I'm greedy and would like more.

Really? ...
I have no more use for phone jacks in my house. Everything is 4G wireless now.

Something from the kitchen ...
I bought BBQ ribs from the deli at Meijer's. Cut them in half and had them with rice and brocoli two nights in a row. They were excellent.

I am creating...
Baby hats for Haiti. Here are numbers four, five, and six.

No more plain ribbing. Doing a stitch pattern is much more fun.

I am procrastinating ...
When I write something under this header, I'm finding that it gets done soon after. So do I want to write that I'm procrastinating finishing the decluttering and cleaning of the basement?

I am reading...
Just finished listening to Wicked Game by Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush. It is from the library. The blurb on the back sounded like it was going to be a good book, but it was mediocre at best.

I'm not looking for more by the same author.

I am hearing...
The fan is going. Otherwise it's very quiet around here. Nice.

Outdoors ...
I must have thrown some phlox parts in a garden waste pile on the back three acres. They're looking healthy and beautiful. The phlox in my garden look spindly and brown with hardly any blooms.

The lesson: Composting is magic.


A few plans for the next few days
Church tomorrow. If there's an openhouse in a condo community I'm watching, I'll go look around. I'm not ready to move yet, but when the time is right I want to be informed.

Giving thanks for ...
A renewed interest in life.

And ...
This 1970 picture is daughter Heather wearing a dress, pants, and socks knit by Alwina Kern, my maternal grandmother.

I might even find this outfit packed away when I dig back into the basement stuff.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture of your daughter is just priceless! Hope you can find the outfit. So glad to hear about the renewed interest in life. I'm sure that would make Bob happy!

mariannefrost said...

Cute hats, Marguerite! I'm just getting ready to start the Aviatrix pattern (free on Raverly). Have you tried this pattern? It looks like a dandy! Hugs, Marianne (Busha)

Jan said...

I've made several of Jussi's Aviatrix, mostly baby size although the pattern goes to a large adult.

Well written pattern clear directions as are all of her designs. I love her baby things, different, up to date but practical. Aviatrix is a quick knit and would be a good charity hat for babies and toddlers. I can do the baby size very quickly.

mariannefrost said...

Jan! maybe you can help me then! :) I have a bulky-ish very soft alpaca from frogging that I would like to use. Can you tell me if it knit up true to size, or? Seeking knitty wisdom! :)

Jan said...

Marianne, I'm a bit dubious about the alpaca. I love alpaca but find that it can stretch or sometimes felt. I've used something crisper when I've made it. I usually use 8 ply, 4mm needles. I think the strap may also stretch.

I'm actually currently doing a small shawl from laceweight Garn baby alpaca. Gorgeously soft, but again, I think it may be too soft.

Ooops, I'm Australian. 8Ply=DK.

Judy said...

So happy about your renewed interest in life!
What a lovely picture of your daughter.

Megan said...

Hi, I like the baby hats and I agree with you that endless ribbing is boring. I have a compost pile where some squash and tomato seeds sprouted this year. They are lush and healthy. Compost is amazing!

hugs, Megan in California

Grace said...

Cute hat patterns! I especially love the pattern on the white one! I think I might start knitting some hats for charity!

Judy S. said...

Love those hats! How is it that summer seems so much shorter than winter? What a cute photo of your daughter. Now I know where your knitting gene came from! Is she the original Louise? Glad to that you're feeling better!

Unknown said...

As a long-time reader and fan of your blog, this post made my day.

janna said...

I'm so glad you're feeling happier! Also -- the new Louise Penny/Inspector Gamache book comes out this week! Amazon tells me mine is already on the way (there was no way I could wait for the library for this!)

kathy b said...

M you are sounding very good these late summer days. I loved the cool cool california nights after hot hot days in Yosemite. By 7 in the evening it would get crisp and delightful.

My phlox didn't fare well this year where planted either.

I Love the knitting coordinating in the photo.

Your hat are awesome M!