Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chat Back for July 23

Responding to comments left since the last time I did Chat Back.

Jan asked . . .
Did it (Metro) take long to knit?

It took much less time than I thought it was going to take. The tweed is a heavy, 4.5 stitches/inch, yarn and it slides on and off the needles like a dream. Plus there is no sewing except for the back of the collar.


Dorothy asked . . .
Do you have trouble managing 3 strands at once?

Three strands is no problem as long as the three balls are kept separate and only joined as they go through your fingers.

Once upon a time a long long time ago I learned the hard way that it doesn't work to wind the strands together into one ball before knitting.





Rita asked . . .
Is this the same pattern you used for the red hat you made for yourself and your mom last winter?

Yes, it's the same very basic pattern I used for my simple Red Hat.

I figure the two most important things for charity hats: 1) It should be warm and cover the ears and 2) It should be flexible in size.





Judy S. asked . . .
Did you find anything good at the library? Have you read Cutting for Stone? Or any of the Maisie Dobbs series?

Thanks to your suggestion I’m now on the library waiting list for Cutting for Stone.

I enjoy Maisie Dobbs and see there’s a new one, The Mapping of Love and Death, that I haven't read yet. I’m on the list for that as well.

The Maisie Dobbs books are written by Jacqueline Winspear and are best when read in order.

The book I blogged about on Tuesday was terrible. Silly plot, stupid dialog, and bad grammar and spelling errors. It was so hot I didn’t want to move from in front of the fan, so I kept rolling my eyes and reading, but really, how do people get these things published?


Nobody asked . . .
How's your jaw doing?

And why would you? It's been a little over two months since I had an infected, undeveloped tooth bud removed from my jaw. It was wedged between the roots of two teeth and near my right side facial nerve.

The endodontist said it would be six months until the jaw was totally back to normal, and I have no reason to believe he was wrong about that.

The good news is that there has been very little pain for the past two weeks. Parts of my jaw are numb and occasionally start tingling like when your foot is asleep. It's only been ten days that I've been able to smile without discomfort and I'm never sure if I have food on my chin or not.

I found this picture on my camera after it was too late to post it - but it's never really too late to post it. This was the outside of my face the day after surgery. Even though I don't have enough sense to not post this picture, you'll be happy to know I do have more sense than to post a picture of the inside stitches. Couldn't get my mouth open, anyway.


6 comments:

Susan said...

Good grief! No wonder you were in so much pain. You look like you've been beat up.

Rita said...

Thank you for answering about the hat.I started one with 3 strands of fingering weight yarn from Elann, they call it Baby cashmere, truth is it's baby alpaca and silk, should be a nice hat for my neighbor as a chemo hat in the fall and winter. THank you for that pattern. About your face, OMG, I can understand your discomfort and worry about this. I tought of you many many times during your ordeal and send good thoughts your way. AS I do right now, for a speedy recovery every way.

Rita

Jean said...

I'll have to check out this book suggestion as well. Always learning something from your blog.

Sheri said...

Oh my! You poor thing. I know that hurt. Hope it continues to improve. Nothing hurts like a tooth! or the lack of one.

Dorothy said...

Ouch! That does indeed look very painful. I can recommend Cutting for Stone. I just finished reading it and it's very good - as long as you like lots of medical jargon (which I do). But it also has a lot about the culture and history of Ethiopia, which I found interesting. Hope your heat breaks soon. We just put our winter clothes away and I'm wondering if it's too soon!

rsgtarte said...

My favorite book this summer was "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" by Fannie Flagg. Just made me smile. I'll note these titles for my next library trip.