Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Heron and the Hawk

One of the many reasons I love living in the country is the variety of birds we see.

Today, sitting on the loveseat with my laptop and wishing it would thaw, I spotted several of the larger birds that hang around our property.

This is more a snow picture than a bird picture, but that dark lump in the center is a blue heron fishing in the creek.

With the white snow on the ground for background, it was easy to spot the heron gliding in to take his position. The creek is fast running, so it never freezes.


Way up high on the property line this hawk sits and surveys all the neighborhood feeders.

I'm a bit weak on hawk id. Without a closer look it's impossible for me to make a confident identification, but I'm thinking it's a Red-tailed Hawk. If any reader knows better, please correct me.

The sky really was the color in the picture in anticipation of the sleet/rain/snow that's supposed to entertain us for the next 24 hours or more.

No comments: