Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Resolution Compliance Report for March

In 2007 I half-heartedly resolve to have no more than three unfinished knitting projects at one time.

Three months down and nine to go on my New Year's resolution.

Today, April 1, I have no projects on the needles. It feels strange. I'll be casting on a pair of socks before the night is over.

To get into this rare situation, I had to finish up three pairs of socks this weekend.

Opal UNI-Solid socks knit in cable and box patternStitch Pattern: Boxed Cables from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 2.

Yarn: Opal sock yarn, 75% wool, 25% nylon

Color: UNI-Solid 1264. I'm not sure what Opal calls it, but I call it Blue Spruce. It's a little too green to call Teal.

Needles: Addi Turbo #1

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette

Inspiration: A friend gave me this yarn from my birthday. When someone gives me yarn, I like to knit it up as soon as reasonable so they know I liked the gift.

Stitchionary 2 was a much appreciated Christmas gift from daughter Heather. Now I can show her the socks to demonstate her good taste in presents.


Red Swish gansey socks Pattern: Winging Worsted Weight Socks with a 48 stitch cuff, 42 stitch foot. Small scale gansey type patterning on cuff.

Yarn: Knitpicks Swish, a worsted weight superwash wool

Color: Red pepper

Needles: #3 double points

Gauge: About 6 stitches/inch. Haven't washed socks yet for accurate gauge.

Inspriation: I'm auditioning this yarn for a gansey sweater. With this simple pair of socks I can check out the color, the gauge, the stitch definition, and how it feels while being knit. Most important, especially with superwash yarn, how does it look after being worn and washed multiple times?

Knitpicks advertises this yarn as the "superwash of knitter's dreams." So far I can't argue. It's wonderfully soft merino, a pleasure to knit even at a tight gauge, and has acceptable stitch definition. Final opinion must wait until I've worn and washed these socks a few times.


CIC socks knit with gray Swish and leftover Opal PetticoatPattern: Winging Worsted Weight Socks on 36 stitches.

Yarn: Knitpicks Swish, a worsted weight superwash wool. Opal fingering weight sock yarn carried along.

Color: Coast Gray Swish and Opal Petticoat left over from Gail's Birthday Socks

Needles: #5 double points

Gauge: 5 stitches/inch, 7 rows/inch

Inspriation: Cold kids in Eastern Europe. These socks are for CIC.


Are you wondering about the grim sounding title on this post? It's in memory of all the silly, time wasting, non-productive status reports I had to write during my working career. It makes me smile and count my blessings. Retirement is wonderful.

No comments: