Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Back to Knitting Socks

Tutti Frutti Opal sock cuffs in a ripple pattern Pattern: Rainbow Ripple by Linda Dziubala

Yarn: Opal sock yarn, 75% wool, 25% nylon

Color: Tutti Frutti

Needles: Addi Turbo #1

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch

It's been a while since I knit a pair of socks, but I wanted something simple to pick up and knit during short lulls in the Idaho baby action so I divided the skein of Opal and cast on this bright, cheerful pair.

If they're not too big, they're going to be mine. If they are too big, they will be someone's birthday socks in 2006.

Instead of knitting everyone Christmas socks, I've decided to go with birthday socks. That spreads the knitting out through the year and is much more fun than trying to knit a half dozen pair of socks in time for Santa.


Three new skeins of Opal sock yarn While I was in Idaho, I visited the House of Needlecraft in Coeur d'Alene where they carry Opal sock yarn, my favorite. Unfortunately - but fortunately for my pocketbook - they didn't have the new Opal Rainforest collection. So I got out of there with only two new skeins.

On the left is Opal Lollipop 1012 with deep dark red, dark green, and navy blue stripes. Those are daughter-in-law Anne's favorite colors and just the ticket for a pair of birthday socks for her.

In the middle is Opal Lollipop 1011 with many shades of blue. I need to get out my Opal bin and pick out a skein for Gail the doggy school teacher's Christmas socks. If I don't see anything I think she will like better, this is it.

On the right (not from Idaho) is Opal Rodeo 1154, orange, brown, black and white. What holiday does that remind you of? Well, they may be done by next year.



Anniversary graphicA year ago today Stitches of Violet was launched in an unplanned blogging spasm.

I didn't think I did enough knitting to support a knitting blog, but it seems to work anyway. More readers than I ever imagined come here to read about knitting, dogs, granddaughters, nature, and whatever else comes to mind.

With all the knitting blogs available to read, I'm honored each time someone stops by Stitches of Violet. Some of you have left comments and a few of you have become valued cyber friends. All of you are appreciated.

Thank you for stopping by.

No comments: