Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday Tidbits for March 12

March in Michigan is blah. What snow is left is dirty. The new snow that comes down soon becomes slush and mud. Outdoor color is hard to find, which is why Michiganders get excited about the little snowdrops that are the first thing to pop up out of the garden.



Boyfriend Jay is doing what all Michiganders want to do in March. He is traveling to a warmer climate. While eating his way across the country to Arizona, he and traveling companion (his) daughter Joni stopped at Cattlemen's Restaurant in Oklahoma City for some Lamb Fries.

From a review: "Lamb Fries are testicles that are sliced, breaded, and deep fried. Gonads are a highly-regarded delicacy in much of the West. When young livestock is castrated on the range, it is traditional for cowboys to fry their harvest as a treat at the end of the day. Like much deep-fried food, it's breading that's the keynote flavor. The organ meat inside is moist and slightly sweet."

According to Joni, eating Lamb Fries makes Jay a "real cowboy".



Jay and I are keeping in touch on Facebook and texting. On Facebook he posted this picture of his "favorite street" in Gallup, New Mexico.

If you can't read the street sign, click on the picture to make it bigger.



Jay's daughter Joni asked if I had ever heard of Polish Pottery. I hadn't. When I Googled it, I found many pieces of beauty, the one in the picture below being my favorite.

Boleslawiec pottery is the collective term for pottery produced in Boleslawiec, Poland. Boleslawiec Pottery is also known as Polish Pottery or Polish Stoneware.

Need to find out more about this. It's totally beautiful, especially the nature pieces.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask why you didn't go with him, but that whole Lamb Fries thing explains it. Well, that and the doggies. Several times a year we get a vendor at our local Navy Exchange selling Polish pottery. But I hadn't seen the nature pieces. They are beautiful!

Jan said...

Funny how language changes.

Down here Lamb's Fry is liver from a lamb. Chopped finely, floured and cooked with bacon and a rich gravy. I can sort of cope with chicken liver in pate but don't do liver otherwise. My husband loved this and I could not bring myself to make this.

I have helped at marking time with sheep. Docked tails and other bits cut off were eaten by the dogs.

Susan said...

They're called Prairie Oysters in my neck of the woods. I've never eaten them nor do I want to.

Anonymous said...

The street name made me smile all the way down to my toes. Thank you for sharing.

JD said...

I have always heard them called, "Rocky Mountain Oysters". LOL!!

janna said...

I've heard of calf fries, but never lamb fries. And I've never actually eaten calf fries, either!