Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Peace Fleece Gansey Started

This is my birthday gift Peace Fleece from friend Sherry becoming a boys sweater for some child in Akkol, Kazakakhstan.

When Sherry learned I was going to use it to knit for the Akkol kids, she gave me two more skeins bringing the yardage up to 800. I calculated that would be enough for a 30 inch sweater and cast on.

The sweater is knit in the round with no seams, no sewing. Not only does that make me happy, but I think it makes a more rugged garment with less places to fall apart as the sweater is worn and worn and worn.


Peace Fleece is coarse, nubby, and tweedy colorful. Not the type of yarn one would normally pick for a gansey sweater. The gansey stitch patterns are my way of staying interested in the knitting.

Since cables suck up yardage and my yardage is limited, there are no cables. Just knit/purl patterns.


Pattern: Making it up as I knit using the techniques from Knitting Ganseys by Beth Brown-Reinsel, a most excellent tutorial on knitting gansey style sweaters.

Yarn: Peace Fleece, heavy, coarse worsted weight 30% mohair, 70% wool. A gift from friend Sherry.

Color: Blueberry Borscht.

Needles: Options #8.

Gauge: 4 stitches/inch, 6 rows/inch.

No comments: