Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wednesday Wings - Red-winged Blackbird

Red-winged Blackbirds are about the size of Robins and are mostly found in wetlands. This is the first year we've had them consistently at the feeder. It's likely they have a nest around some of our water, but I haven't spotted it yet.

Before the male eats, he struts up and down the plank showing off his macho epaulets, feathers on his shoulders that can be concealed or revealed by sliding another group of feathers over them.


After he's done announcing his arrival, he relaxes and eats with the epaulets covered.


The female looks completely different.


The eggs from last Wednesday's nest tour were still in place and being faithfully warmed and tended as of Monday, the last time I checked. Yesterday was cold so I didn't want to open the nest boxes.

This entire spring is colder than normal and we had a light frost here last night. Where is our share of global warming? Maybe if I used some chemicals we could participate? Don't bother scolding me, I'm just kidding about the chemicals. I do have some doubts about global warming.

The Tree Swallows and Wrens are due to hatch on Friday. The Robins are due to hatch over the coming weekend, and the Bluebirds early next week. Hope the weather warms up so I can peek in and take some pictures.

No comments: